Thursday, May 31, 2012

But I am Le Tired: My "Eat Like a European" Phase

You guys, all I wanna do is drink wine and champagne and eat cheese, charcuterie and fresh-baked bread. All the time. For every meal. I've started speaking with a European accent (which I've been told just sounds like Borat, whatever country's accent I am attempting to emulate), I want to nap in the afternoons and I want a tall Italian man to ask me to out. Is this too much to ask?! I mean, I just kinda wanna be European.

Well as my almond-shaped eyes convey, I am Asian, I live in the U.S. of A and all I can do is try to eat like a European. And I have. A LOT.

Here are some of my favorite cheese/meat/accompaniments/bread platters around the DMV:

Red Red Wine Bar - During a trip to Annapolis I discovered the magic of a sharp cheddar with honey. The tang of the cheese with the sweetness of the honey was an unexpectedly amazeballs combo that blew my mind. I don't even remember what kind of cheese we got but one order came with all this yummy for only $7. Also, loved the reasonably priced wine flights and seriously swank decor.


Northside Social - I am OBSESSED with their coffee and enough trips will make you wonder about their upstairs wine bar in the evening. Almost as good as the coffee but a bit on the pricey side for little mouse-sized portions. However, the lomo (like a cured ham, super lean and not too salty) and the cheese selection were all REALLY good and the people there really know their stuff if you're not sure what to order.

Pinzimini - I didn't even know they had charcuterie, how embarrassing for a wannabe European! And even better, it was the kind of good that Americans are scared of. Fattier and that much more delicious. Their plate comes with coppa, guanciale, lomo and spicy olives.

Society Fair - First off, this place is like Candyland for foodies. Most things are made in-house, they offer cooking demos, have a little market for fantasizing in and they have a fab patio for your late European lunch/dinner/time for eating yummy things. By far and above the largest portions and best bang for the buck - "The Big Bad" - was more than enough for 3 people to share and very, very good.


You want this? Oui? Oui.

189B Main Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-990-1144
 
Northside Social
3211 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22201
703-465-0145
 
801 N. Glebe Rd
Arlington, VA 22203
703-537-4200
Society Fair
277 S Washington St
Alexandria, VA 22314 
703-683-3247

No comments:

Post a Comment